See Also: Phantoms (DRK) Phantoms (DK) Phantoms (SS) A Note to the Reader (Phantoms) Afterword to Phantoms Dean Koontz Collection - Whispers & Phantoms Foreword to Phantoms Dean R. Koontz: Three Complete Novels
Released January 23, 1998
Starring: Peter O’Toole, Rose McGowan, Joanna Going, Leiv Schreiber and Ben Affleck
Director: Joe Chapelle
The film’s poster came in two versions. The first has the film logo underground, beneath a street lined with buildings. The second version featured the faces of the four young stars, to capitalize on the popularity of a similar poster done for the film Scream.
In March 1998 many DC comic books included a full-page, color reproduction of the original film poster.
Phantoms placed ninth its opening weekend grossing $3,065,951 in1859 engagements.
Phantoms has subsequently been re-released on both DVD and Blu-ray in conjunction with other films as with the original Blu-ray release and in a stand-alone DVD release.
Articles & Reviews
- Detroit News, “O’Toole tries a little horror”, Nov 1, 1996 sec E p5
- Cinefantastique, “Eagerly Awaited”, v29, no2, August 1997 p4
- Cinefantastique, “Phantoms”, v29 no 3, September 1997 p6
- Cinefantastique, “Dean R. Koontz’ Phantoms”, Steven J. Lehti, Vol. 29, No. 4/5, October 1997, p16-17,19-20
- Cinefantastique, ”Phantoms Effects”, Dale Kutzera, Vol. 29, No. 4/5, October 1997, p18-19
- Cinefantastique, ”Phantoms: Peter O’Toole”, Steven J. Lehti, Vol. 29, No. 4/5, October 1997, p21
- Fangoria, “Phantoms: Shifting Shapes of Fear”, #168, Nov 1997, p34(6), Anthony C. Ferrante
- Boston Globe, “O’Toole rumpled but thrilling in Phantoms”, Jan 15 1998 sec E p2
- The Orange County Register, “The Dean’s List”, January 20 1998, Show Tuesday, p1,4-5
- Associated Press, “Horror author pleased with film”, Jan 21 1998 5:27am EST
- Dallas Morning News, “The Dreams of Dean Koontz”, Jan 21 1998, Charles Ealy
- Hollywood Online, “Koontz exorcises the Phantoms within”, Jan 22 1998, Nina Davidson
- Reuters, “Phantoms spookily enjoyable”, Jan 23 1998 8:47am EST
- Post Gazette, “Shot in the Dark: Dim Phantoms Fails to Thrill”, Jan 23, 1998 (online), Barry Paris
- Variety, “Phantoms” review, Jan 23, 1998, Godfrey Cheshire
- Hollywood Online, “Dean Koontz scares up Phantoms”, Jan 1998 – Original URL: http://www.hollywood.com/pressroom/interviews/dkoontz/dkoontz.html
- New York Times Online, “Phantoms: A monster hungry for attention”, Jan 23 1998, Stephen Holden
- Movie Mail, E-mail announcement of the opening sent on Jan 23 1998
- TV Guide, July 25-31 1999 p31 (ad for video)
- Peter O’Toole The Definitive Biography by Robert Sellers, Sidgwick & Jackson Ltd, 2012
1989 film version
According to an advertisement in a 1989 issue of Variety, New World International had started per-production on a film of Phantoms. Unfortunately, I do not have any additional details about this project or even which issue of Variety this ad appeared in.
Last updated on April 9th, 2018