See Also: Phantoms (DRK) Phantoms (DK) Phantoms (SS) A Note to the Reader (Phantoms) Afterword to Phantoms Dean Koontz Collection - Whispers & Phantoms Foreword to Phantoms Dean R. Koontz: Three Complete Novels
Original Motion Picture Score by David C. Williams
Released January 23, 1998
Starring: Peter O’Toole, Rose McGowan, Joanna Going, Leiv Schreiber and Ben Affleck
Director: Joe Chapelle
The film’s poster came in two versions. The first has the film logo underground, beneath a street lined with buildings. The second version featured the faces of the four young stars, to capitalize on the popularity of a similar poster done for the film Scream.
In March 1998 many DC comic books included a full-page, color reproduction of the original film poster.
Phantoms placed ninth its opening weekend grossing $3,065,951 in 1859 engagements.
Phantoms has subsequently been re-released on both DVD and Blu-ray in conjunction with other films as with the original Blu-ray release and in a stand-alone DVD release.
Articles & Reviews
- Detroit News, “O’Toole tries a little horror”, Nov 1, 1996 sec E p5
- Cinefantastique, “Eagerly Awaited”, v29, no2, August 1997 p4
- Cinefantastique, “Phantoms”, v29 no 3, September 1997 p6
- Cinefantastique, “Dean R. Koontz’ Phantoms”, Steven J. Lehti, Vol. 29, No. 4/5, October 1997, p16-17,19-20
- Cinefantastique, ”Phantoms Effects”, Dale Kutzera, Vol. 29, No. 4/5, October 1997, p18-19
- Cinefantastique, ”Phantoms: Peter O’Toole”, Steven J. Lehti, Vol. 29, No. 4/5, October 1997, p21
- Fangoria, “Phantoms: Shifting Shapes of Fear”, #168, Nov 1997, p34(6), Anthony C. Ferrante
- Boston Globe, “O’Toole rumpled but thrilling in Phantoms”, Jan 15 1998 sec E p2
- The Orange County Register, “The Dean’s List”, January 20 1998, Show Tuesday, p1,4-5
- Associated Press, “Horror author pleased with film”, Jan 21 1998 5:27am EST
- Dallas Morning News, “The Dreams of Dean Koontz”, Jan 21 1998, Charles Ealy
- Hollywood Online, “Koontz exorcises the Phantoms within”, Jan 22 1998, Nina Davidson
- Reuters, “Phantoms spookily enjoyable”, Jan 23 1998 8:47am EST
- Post Gazette, “Shot in the Dark: Dim Phantoms Fails to Thrill”, Jan 23, 1998 (online), Barry Paris
- Variety, “Phantoms” review, Jan 23, 1998, Godfrey Cheshire
- Hollywood Online, “Dean Koontz scares up Phantoms”, Jan 1998 – Original URL: http://www.hollywood.com/pressroom/interviews/dkoontz/dkoontz.html
- New York Times Online, “Phantoms: A monster hungry for attention”, Jan 23 1998, Stephen Holden
- Movie Mail, E-mail announcement of the opening sent on Jan 23 1998
- TV Guide, July 25-31 1999 p31 (ad for video)
- Peter O’Toole The Definitive Biography by Robert Sellers, Sidgwick & Jackson Ltd, 2012
An advance screening was held in Syracuse, NE on January 21, 1998. An unknown number of invitation postcards were distributed as tickets.
Artist Christopher Roy Bullock posted this image in the Books of Horror facebook group with the following description:
“Just come across this piece I did for a video company way back, meant to front the video box, it was for a film version of Koontz “Phantoms”, hope you like, was`nt [sic] a bad film, from in my opinion one of his best books.”
Further attempts to contact Mr. Bullock for details have been unsuccessful.
1989 film version
According to an advertisement in a 1989 issue of Variety, New World International had started per-production on a film of Phantoms. Unfortunately, I do not have any additional details about this project or even which issue of Variety this ad appeared in.
Last updated on October 26th, 2019