March 8, 2021
Not much this week but I’d put money on you having never heard of at least one of these items.
- Italian Anti-Man cover
- From the Desk of Dean: “A New Moon on the 13th? How often does that happen?” and new animated banner
- The Other Emily MP3-CD
- “Yes, I do”
March 4, 2021
Not everyone knows that chocolate is bad for dogs. Turns out that back in 1986 when Dean wrote Watchers he didn’t know this either and had Travis feed Einstein a Hershey bar. (Chapter 1, part 3) But recently an eagle-eyed reader on Facebook noticed that in later editions Einstein eats a Planters Peanut Bar. So of course, you humble webmaster needed to try to figure out when this change was made. Here’s what I found:
1986 Hardcover: Hershey Bar
1988 Paperback: Hershey Bar
1998 Koontz Book Club Hardcover: Hershey Bar
2003 “Afterword paperback” (40th paperback printing): Planters Peanut Bar
2008 Trade paperback: Planters Peanut Bar
So it looks like the change was made in 2003. The Facebook commenter also said that “Lots of people wrote to him and set him straight.” but I have no current way to confirm this. If someone can find some sort of article or interview that does confirm that I’d love to have a copy sent my direction.
March 1, 2021
What’s here is week may seem a little random but eagle-eyed readers will notice that most of it is fanzine content. Minor content I will admit, but this means I’m starting to dig through “that box” of content. Some of it is easy, like the items below, while others are way more complex, like letters responding to letters responding to letters. That takes time to just figure out how I can work it into this site’s format. So, I’m releasing this week’s updates early in the morning this week, with more “bigger” content set up for next week. Enjoy, and thanks for paying attention.
- The 2nd Coming: The Best of Pirate Writings Vol. 2 to Appendix D
- Cover of The Old Dark House #2 to the Demon Seed film page.
- Cleaned up the “A Mouse in the Walls of the Global Village” page
- Jerry Lapidus letter in Energumen #10 re: “A Veritable Cornucupia”
- Review in OtherRealms #22 and fixed the order of entries for The Servants of Twilight
- Updated details on the Star Quest quote in Diaspar #17
- Number of ARC, Trade, PC, and reprint copies (as relevant) released by Dark Harvest for each the following titles:
February 22, 2021
February 15, 2021
Did you know Dean did an appearance in Chino, CA for the opening of a B. Dalton bookstore? Thanks to Kerry Cisneroz we do now.
- 1988 B. Dalton Bookseller appearance to Appendix B
- From the Desk of Dean: With Love and Mystery from Dean Koontz
- From the Desk of Dean: I’m ticked off…
- The Right Kind of Wrong to Appendix G
February 14, 2021
February 14, 2021
Film details @ IMDB
February 8, 2021
I’m getting this one posted earlier today as I have something else scheduled for today that is both exciting and nerve wracking. But the two items here this week are both significant. Enjoy.
- Girl for a Gang full cover image and additional details
- The Science-Fantasy Publisher: A Critical and Bibliographic History, Third Edition Revised and Enlarged by Jack L. Chalker & Mark Owings to Appendix B
February 1, 2021
Doesn’t seem like much this week of one item is completely new while the other three all fill in gapes in some ultra rare items.
- From the Desk of Dean: Happy New Year from Dean Koontz
- Girl for a Gang updated details
- Night Chills proof
- Voice of the Night by Brian Coffey proof page count
January 25, 2021
I wish it hadn’t happened, I didn’t want to buy one, and I really hope that Dean had nothing to do with it, but yes, Headline in the UK released a printing of The Eyes of Darkness using the coronavirus as marketing copy on the cover.
- The Eyes of Darkness UK coronavirus cover
January 18, 2021
I was just focusing on other things this week, so just one little piece of trivia courtesy of Dean’s twitter feed this week.
- Whispers was the last novel Dean wrote on a typewriter
January 12, 2021
Grogu’s even pointing right at a copy of Forever Odd.
January 11, 2021
Mostly images this week. If anyone can provide me with any information on Mr. Elswick I’d love to hear it. (At least there was a auction catalog for Art Stone.)
- Double Threat by F. Paul Wilson to Appendix D
- Elsewhere Australian trade paperback
- Gary Elswick inscriptions to The Bad Place, Hanging On, Lightning, Phantoms, “Snatcher,” Starblood, Strangers, Strike Deep, Voice of the Night (BC), and Voice of the Night (DRK)
- Night Chills, W.H. Allen UK Hardcover photo
- Reading & Writing podcast episode 214: Dean Koontz interview to Appendix B
January 4, 2021
This is what happens when I get three days off in the middle of the week and start digging through my “do deal with” bookmarks while watching TV. Heads up, if you like interviews, there’s a bunch of them here for your reading, listening, and watching pleasure.
- “AARP Minute” & “The Dangerous World of Devoted” videos to Devoted
- Anthony Dean to Appendix F
- “Dean Koontz Inspires Hope in Latest Novel, Devoted” (Interview) to Appendix B
- CAP Radio: Dean Koontz Takes Readers On A ‘Techno-Thriller’ Ride In His New ‘Jane Hawk’ Series to Appendix B
- Dog Save the People podcast: Wondrous Again w/ Dean Koontz to Appendix B
- The Eyes of Darkness Fontana UK mass market paperback cover
- The Good Guy lettered edition photo
- The Horror Writer: A Study of Craft and Identity in the Horror Genre by Joe Mynhardt to Appendix G
- Framed autographed letter to House of Thunder
- In conversation with Dean Koontz at Live Talks Los Angeles to Appendix B
- In Laymon’s Terms lettered edition photo to Appendix G
- Joshua Graham interviews Dean Koontz to Appendix B
- Just One More Chapter Podcast #29: Dean Koontz to Appendix B
- The Key to Midnight 1st UK mass market paperback cover
- Megadeth tweet re: Megadeth Versus Godzilla
- Nightmare Magazine interview to Appendix B
- @Snarkyspice has an Odd Thomas tattoo
- @elliotbebop has done some amazing alternate cover art for Odd Thomas
- Unused VHS cover art for Phantoms by Christopher Ray Bullock
- Suspense Magazine, Winter 2020 Short Q&A to Appendix B
- The Warriors: Jailbreak to Appendix F
January 4, 2021
According to MSU Today (December 20, 2019):
Hoppenstand’s research is focused on genre and formula studies in popular fiction, graphic novels and film. He has published twenty-four books, including nine scholarly reprint editions of classics novels for Signet Classics and Penguin Classics and over sixty scholarly articles on topics ranging from popular culture studies to literary and media studies.
His next two books to be published include an anthology of his essays on adventure literature and an edited collection of scholarly articles about thriller writer Dean Koontz.
I’m assuming it will be a book in this Critical Insights series from Salem Press as Mr. Hippenstand has already done one on Stephen King. I’ve reached out to the professor and will report back if I receive a response.
January 4, 2021
According to Kerry Cisneroz:
“Newsboy Books was opened in the 1970s, and was originally called Chino Newsstand. In 1988 B. Dalton Bookseller, Chino’s first major chain bookstore, opened in the idle of the newly built Chino Town Square on Philadelphia Street and had huge selections of over 5,000 books and magazines. They had special guests at their grand opening, including author Dean Koontz. Free balloons and pencils were given away….life was still simple then, and people were excited about free balloons and pencils.”
I’ve reached out to Kerry to see if they have any additional information and will report back if I hear anything.
January 3, 2021
Wondering what the stats for this site look like? We’ll here’s an overview of 2020’s stats.
December 28, 2020
Happy holidays everyone! Quiet times in Koontz collecting land. The UK trade paperback of Elsewhere is now out and Dean sent out a new “From the Desk of Dean” this past week. Both are linked to below.
December 21, 2020
I’m posting this update early today as I’ve got some other important day-job related things that need to be dealt with today. However, what’s here include two big ones. Enjoy and thanks for your continued support!
- Elsewhere MP3-CD
- The Other Emily ARC updated images & details, audiobook reader
- The Voice of the Night Brian Coffey Proof
December 20, 2020
Looks like J. Michael Straczynski has made a copy of his Hour 25 interview with Dean available via his Patreon page.